Proven Savannah Lawyer Explains How to File a Personal Injury Claim
Early action and effective legal support improve your chance for a recovery
Once you’ve been hurt due to someone else’s negligence or willful act, securing the compensation you deserve can be a confusing process. The early choices you make might seriously affect the eventual outcome. Defendants and their insurance companies know this and often try to take advantage of personal injury victims. Anderson Law Firm in Savannah delivers comprehensive advocacy to Southern Georgia clients. Whatever type of harm you’ve suffered, our firm will guide you toward a successful legal resolution with the utmost skill and professionalism.
Georgia litigator provides knowledgeable support at every stage of your case
Attorney N. Calhoun “Andy” Anderson, Jr. has handled personal injury and workers’ compensation matters for 35 years. Starting with a free consultation, we can advise you on critical elements of your potential case, including:
- Likelihood of success — Our firm delivers honest, informed counsel on what you can expect in a possible trial or settlement. Even if a previous claim has been denied, we’ll examine the circumstances to determine if appeal grounds exist.
- Fault — Determining when reasonable care standards have been violated can be tricky. We have the background to assess any fact pattern and whether the negligence caused the harm. Georgia law permits plaintiffs to win damages even if they are partly responsible for their injury as long as the defendant is assigned a greater share of the fault.
- General and special damages — By thoroughly reviewing your harm and applicable insurance coverage, we pursue full reimbursement for general damages, such as medical expenses and lost wages, and special damages, including pain and suffering.
With our firm, you are only responsible for paying legal fees if you obtain recovery in a settlement or judgment.
Skillful advocate outlines steps to take immediately following an injury
Hiring a qualified Georgia personal injury lawyer is crucial to maximizing your financial recovery, but before retaining counsel, there are guidelines you should follow:
- Obtain needed medical assistance — Your legal claim will be an important part of your recovery process, but nothing is more important than your health. Before taking steps to support your claim, please make sure that you and anyone else who’s been hurt get whatever medical attention is needed.
- Gather factual information — If no one is in danger, ask for the name and contact information of each witness at the scene. If insurance might be an issue, such as in an auto accident case, inquire about the relevant policies. Fortunately, nearly everyone has access to a camera these days, so victims can take pictures of the scene. Document your impressions and what you tell a reporting police officer or someone else investigating the incident.
- Don’t assess fault — After a harmful incident, it’s tempting to assess who was responsible for the accident. This usually isn’t a good idea, whether you’re acknowledging fault or blaming another party for the damage. You can’t win your case at the accident scene, but you can make an admission that weakens your legal argument.
Time is of the essence when you’re considering a personal injury claim. You have two years from the incident date to initiate a lawsuit, and key witnesses and evidence become harder to track down with each passing day.
Contact an accomplished Georgia attorney about your injury claim
Anderson Law Firm assists Georgia residents with injury claim filings and related matters so that victims can collect the compensation they’re entitled to. Please call 912-328-6491 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation. Our office is in Savannah, but if your injuries prevent you from coming in, we can meet at your home or hospital room.